[gdal-dev] gdal / ESRI SDE / mapserver

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Tue Jan 20 11:49:58 EST 2009

   As many of you likely already know (and I just found out), there are
incompatabilities between ESRI's libsde and the zlib library that many
tools we use need.   I can stop the various core dumps by compiling and
making available the same version of zlib that is inside libsde (which for
ArcSDE 9.2sp5 is zlib 1.1.3).

Notes about the bug here:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=2&f=1718&t=212867

   Gdal has an internal version of zlib, used when the otherwise provided
zlib doesn't have all the functionality needed.  The current configure
script includes the include path provided by ./configure command line
parameters before this local zlib directory.  This means the wrong zlib.h
gets include and the compile complains on the missing function
inflateCopy().

   Is it possible for this order to be patched up, or a ./configure line
parameter created?  What I am doing currently is renaming the zconf.h and
zlib.h out of the way for the build of gdal, renaming back after.

   I am wondering.  Given gdal includes this functionality, I'm wondering
if it is possible to export this functionality.  Mapserver needs these
functions, and could also be configured to use the gdal version rather
than the one provided by zlib.  This might avoid the compatability
problems with libsde and zlib -- at least for mapserver and other tools
which are built upon gdal.

Thank you.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"