[gdal-dev] Getting exception while creating OGR geometry from WKT with huge number of vertices

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 8 10:50:21 EDT 2009

Nilesh Choure wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write features from shape file into DGN file from my
> application. I am using swig generated java interfaces. I am able to
> write features with point and simple line geometries without any problem
> but when it comes across a feature which is either multilinestring or
> multipolygon with very large number of vertices more than 2000 it
> crashes. Following is a error log generated.
>
> When I debuged gdal implementation and my application I found that the
> ogr implementation does create the geometry object but when it returns
> from the function it throws following access violation exception. I have
> searched the couple of post on net and found that it is related with
> size of data.
>
> Any help or suggestion in this regard is appreciated.
> Please reply if you need more information if above is not sufficient.

> Stack: [0x003b0000,0x00400000],  sp=0x003feb2c,  free space=314k
> Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code,
> C=native code)
> C  [ntdll.dll+0x2ae22]
> C  [msvcr71.dll+0x218a]
> V  [jvm.dll+0xd029e]
> C  [ogrjni.dll+0x72ef]
> org.gdal.ogr.ogrJNI.CreateGeometryFromWkt(Ljava/lang/String;JLorg/gdal/osr/SpatialReference;)J+0
> org.gdal.ogr.ogr.CreateGeometryFromWkt(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/gdal/osr/SpatialReference;)Lorg/gdal/ogr/Geometry;+6

Nilesh,

For the most part the java vm crash info doesn't help me much.  But if the
crash is specifically in CreateGeometryFromWkt(), perhaps we can reproduce a
problem at the C++ API level.  Can you provide the WKT string that triggers
the crash (perhaps as a zip'ed text file directly to me?)

What version of GDAL/OGR are you using?   Where did you get your build
of GDAL and the java bindings?

If I can't reproduce it at the C++ level, we will likely need to isolate
a demonstration of the problem in a minimal Java program, and try to
establish the particulars of your software version, etc.