[gdal-dev] Regarding using OCI

Srikanth srikanth1947 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 07:07:01 EDT 2009

Peter ,

To be more specific, I want to store a ESRI shape file into the oracle
database. I would like to know whether gdal provides such a kind of
direct method where in if one passes the shape file name it gets
stored in the database handling the conversion of SDO_GEOM type
internally.

I have gone through the example provided by Mr.Frank ( fastload.cpp
and ocitest.cpp ) but he I do not want handle the oci calls by myself.

Is there any possibilty to meet my requirement.

Regards,
Srikanth

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Peter Halls<P.Halls at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Srikanth,
>
>  with the driver documentation, Frank has provided a simple overview
> example. Otherwise, the OCI driver works just like any other. Look carefully
> at Frank's syntax for the connection string, though.
>
>  I've been using this driver for a couple of years now with very good
> results - indeed, this seems more convenient than using the ArcSDE driver
> interface and is a good test that the SDE environment is properly set up to
> share data through Oracle.
>
>  I'm not in my office at the moment, however when I'm back I could dig out
> some examples of how my code uses the OCI driver, if that would be any help
> to you.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Peter
>
> On Jul 17 2009, Srikanth wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I want to connect to Oracle and save/retrieve the vector/raster files
>> using OCI. I have identified the classes ( ogrocidriver, ogrocistatement,
>> ogrocitablelayer, etc) in GDAL to achieve this.But I did not find any
>> documentation or examples to guide. I would be thankful if anyone can
>> provide me suitable examples or guide me in locating suitable documenation.
>>

> --
> Peter Halls, University of York GIS Advisor
> Snail Mail: Computing Service, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, England
> Telephone: 01904 433806   FAX: 01904 433740
>
> This message has the status of a private & personal communication

Regards,
Srikanth K.
www.servetheneedy.org