[Gdal-dev] GDAL and ECW

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Jul 23 11:01:57 EDT 2009

jteasis wrote:
> When I tried to compile the NCSEcw it gives me two types of errors.
> 1. Error	1	error C2059: syntax error : '<L_TYPE_raw>'
> 2. Error	2	error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'
>
> I am compiling it on Visual Studio 2008 on Windows XP. Do you or anybody
> know the reasons for the errors. There are like 4 for each error.

Yes, it's a very well-known issue that the ECW code is ugly and
and far from being portable.

Similar issues were discussed on the list and reported:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1347
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2032

Basically, types like UINT32 are not defined as well as plenty of extra
qualifications around is used (ie. CNCSJPCBuffer::) in the code.
It's been patched [1] and reported [2] directly to ER Mapper
(and big thanks we got for that) but fixed version of code of
the library were never released by ECW implementor.
That's a shame, but we have to live with that, so I'd suggest you
to try to apply Daniel's patch [1]. It's a big patch, as the code is
broken in many places :-)

End of the Rant.

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-March/011943.html
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-March/011944.html