[gdal-dev] Regarding using VRT to open a raw file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 11 12:54:30 EDT 2009

Dan Greve wrote:
> I'm using the VRT schema to open a raw binary image file.  I can
> successfully access the image data by creating a VRT file with the
> necessary metadata, and then perform GDALOpen using the filename of the
> VRT file.  Is there a clean way to just create the VRT metadata file in
> memory, instead of having to create a VRT file on disk?

Dan,

I believe the VRT driver is unusual in that it allows passing the entire
VRT XML contents as the filename to GDALOpen() instead of it being a file
on disk.

If the driver did not have this specific capacity, you could also use the
/vsimem/ pseudo-filesystem handling to create the file in memory but have
it appear to be on disk to most of the GDAL software.