[gdal-dev] 8/12 bit jpeg in tiff dual mode

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sun Jun 28 10:12:18 EDT 2009

Frank,

Nice work !

I don't know if you were aware of it, but there was a discussion on libtiff
list (http://www.asmail.be/msg0054814912.html) where Joris Van Damme
mentionned a set of 12bit jpeg compressed tiff files he produced with his
TIFF codec: http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/12bpsjpegintiff.zip.

I've tried them, and as anticipated by Joris, some images with exotic
parameters cannot be read (JPEG compression with planar storage, fillorder
bit order reversal, ITULAB color space, 4x4 subsampling). But the others work
fine.

I've adapted the JPEG and NITF drivers so they are able to read and create
12bit JPEG files when JPEG12_ENABLED=YES (the capability to deal with 12bit
JPEG already existed when compiled against the MK1 libjpeg). See r17304 to
r17309 for the related changesets.

Best regards,

Even