[gdal-dev] Re:[FWTools] GDALRasterizeGeometries() and Python

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jun 29 09:12:47 EDT 2009

Matthieu Rigal wrote:
> Hi Frank and GDAL-dev team,
>
> By reading the following message and unsuccessfully searching for
> documentation and possibilities to rasterize geometries, I would be pleased
> to know if the Python bindings for GDALRasterizeGeometries() are still
> somehow planned.
>
> If no bindings are planned is there another work-around than invoking the
> utilities from the shell to mask raster data from vector data, within gdal or
> within numpy (after ReadAsArray) ?

Matthieu,

It appears that the only rasterization entry point provided through
the swig bindings is RasterLayer which rasterizes from an OGR feature layer.
This is available in 1.6.  You can see an example of it's use in:

   http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/branches/1.6/autotest/alg/rasterize.py

I do not have any plans to add a lower level GDALRasterizeGeometries at this
time.