[gdal-dev] Is it a big thing to change ECW to support 16-bit imagery?

mohwawang mohwawang at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 09:19:42 EDT 2009

Ivan,

It seems that both you and me guess that it is a big thing to change the source code of ECW SDK to support 16bit imagery.

So, forget about ECW. How about another jpeg2000 package, Jasper, which (1)supports 8bit and 16bit and (2)is an open source. GDAL has a driver for Jasper jpeg2000. But GDAL does not allow NITF with Jasper. GDAL only allows NITF with ECW jpeg2000, which we know (1)does not support 16bit and (2)has license issue. Why GDAL does not support Jasper jpeg2000 in NITF?

Best Regards,

Mo