[Gdal-dev] SWIG bindings in Linux

turtlewax fevans at harris.com
Sat Mar 28 10:19:48 EDT 2009

Thanks Tamas,

I have a ton of info, and logs, from the various combinations of things I've tried. I can provide the output .so libraries if you think it will help.

I did one interesting experiment where I included gdal_wrap.cc in the compilation of "libgdal.so". This exposed the bindings directly in libgdal, instead of in a wrap library. It was not successful, but Mono did at least probe the library for the SWIGRegisterCallback methods.  Even if it had worked, its not a valid solution.  Just trying to expand my knowledge of how shared libraries link, and how symbols are exported, since I suspect this is the heart of the issue.

On a sidenote, I'm incredibly impressed with Mono, its stability and the rate its evolving. But this weekend I'm going to experiment with the python bindings in linux, the goal of this is to isolate the problem. If the python bindings don't work (and I suspect they won't in my environment), I can shift my focus to the manner in which the symbols are exported from libgdal. If, on the other hand the python bindings work, I'll need to shift attention to libgdalcsharp.so.