[gdal-dev] Tickets 2385 and 2683 (ECW and MrSID plugins)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat May 2 11:18:34 EDT 2009

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> What are the plans for these 2 tickets?
> I think that "The idea is allowing users to add easily MrSID support to
> a binary distribution of GDAL" is a very useful one.
> Actually, are these 2 patches ready to be used? or should
> we wait for further development?

Agus,

I basically disagree with the approach in 2385 of having a standalone package
for the ECW plugin with it's own configure machinery.  I see that 2683 is
somewhat similar.

I'm going to close these tickets as WONTFIX, though folks are welcome to use
the patches for their own use.

I think it is more appropriate to improve the "in tree" plugin configuration
and makefile logic rather than pushing drivers out as their own packages.

I did do it for the grass driver, I must admit, but - as always - GRASS
is special.  Well, that was mostly because there was a complex order
issue with GRASS.  We needed to build GDAL, then GRASS, then the gdal-grass
plugin.