[gdal-dev] Tickets 2385 and 2683 (ECW and MrSID plugins)

Francesco Paolo Lovergine frankie at debian.org
Sun May 3 18:28:18 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 11:18:34AM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Agustin Lobo wrote:
>> What are the plans for these 2 tickets?
>> I think that "The idea is allowing users to add easily MrSID support to
>> a binary distribution of GDAL" is a very useful one.
>> Actually, are these 2 patches ready to be used? or should
>> we wait for further development?
>
> Agus,
>
> I basically disagree with the approach in 2385 of having a standalone package
> for the ECW plugin with it's own configure machinery.  I see that 2683 is
> somewhat similar.
>
> I'm going to close these tickets as WONTFIX, though folks are welcome to use
> the patches for their own use.
>
> I think it is more appropriate to improve the "in tree" plugin configuration
> and makefile logic rather than pushing drivers out as their own packages.

The reason for those patches is having an independent compilation unit. This is
the only purpose for a plugin hack for ecw/mrsid, i.e. to solve a
licensing problem. But for that, I agree that a more general approach to
support a plugin mechanism (possibly with a versioning support) would be nice.
Are you thinking to something like an apache-like mechanism to support DSO modules?
It would be useful defining the constraints for that you are thinking.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine