[gdal-dev] Benefit of using

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Nov 24 09:51:28 EST 2009

Hi,

What is the benefit of using gdaladdo with option -clean?  I created
accidentally internal overviews instead of external and I was thinking that the
-clean option must be a tool to get back to the starting point with no overviews
and smaller file size. Hoever, -clean option is obviously made for some other
purpose because it seems to wipe away overviews so that no program can utilise
them, but still the file size remains the same.  For example

- original tiff             355023 KB
- with internal overviews   475209 KB
- after gdaladdo -clean     475209 KB

Is there any other way to get tiff file to its original size than to rewrite it
with gdal_translate? It is fast but it means some manual delete/rename
operations.

-Jukka Rahkonen-