[gdal-dev] Benefit of using

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Nov 24 14:00:10 EST 2009

Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :

I guess the main reason was to invalidate existing overviews when the
content of the full resolution has changed.
See http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2915 for the history of this feature.

For external overviews, either in GeoTIFF format (.ovr), or in HFA
Imagine format (.aux / .rrd), gdaladdo -clean destroys the external
overview file.

For internal overviews in TIFF, it can't shrink the file. This would
require libtiff to support a kind of "compaction" operation, which it
doesn't. Currently, it just "unlinks" the IFDs corresponding to the
overviews from the chain of IFDs thus leaving holes in the file. I've
also observed similar behaviour for internal HFA Imagine datasets.

But for database drivers, gdaladdo -clean can also free space. For
example, for the (trunk) rasterlite driver, gdaladdo -clean + ogrinfo
-sql "vacuum" results in a file that has the same size as before adding
the overviews.