[gdal-dev] mdb to shape conversion: no geometry exported

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 24 12:02:51 EST 2009

Boris.Vasiliev at forces.gc.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to convert an ArcGIS .mdb database to shape files but,
> unfortunately, the geometry is not exported.  This issue was raised
> before in this mailing list, but I could not find a solution. Hence, a
> new post.
> The .dbf file contains the correct data; however, when I load the .shp
> file into QGIS the layer is empty.  Similarly, when I import the shape
> file into GRASS, GRASS shows 0 lines, polygons and points.  I tried
> setting the new layer type option, -nlt, to GEOMETRY, POLYGON, and
> LINESTRING but this did not help - shape files contain no geometry.
>
> The ogr2ogr version is 1.6.2, released 2009/07/31.
>
> Is this a known issue with .mdb files?  Are there any diagnostic tools
> which may indicate what is wrong with the .mdb file and why geometry is
> not exported?  Is anybody aware of possible fixes?

Boris,

There are some geometry types in personal geodatabases which are known not
to translate.  A review of open personal geodatabase tickets should turn up
some information on this. I see the following potentially related tickets:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3100
   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2991
   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2702
   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2643
   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1918

It looks like, from 2991, that fixes may be in trunk and 1.6.3 that would
be helpful.

Running ogrinfo with the "--debug on" flag might give additional diagnostic
information.

Chaitanya, could you review the status of all the above tickets and see if
your fixes for 2991 address the others?  Please close tickets when you are
reasonably confident they are dealt with (including notes such as pointers
to 2991).