[gdal-dev] Fastest vector format for combining shapefiles

Peter J Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 07:15:10 EDT 2009

Jukka,

     it depends upon what your desired result is.  If you just want to replicate
maps, the answer might differ from seeking to work with the information
contained within the maps.  Either way, if your data is going to exceed 6GB, you
probably ought to be looking to one of the DBMS solutions, PostGRES (underlying
PostGIS) or Oracle.  That would give an added benefit that your data are
accessible from a wide variety of tools.

Best wishes,

Peter