[gdal-dev] compiling GDAL with GEOS on Windows

Yilmaz Arslanoglu yilmaz.arslanoglu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:54:04 EDT 2009

Hi;

I am trying to build and install the GDAL library on Windows XP
using the following commands:

   nmake /f makefile.vc
   nmake /f makefile.vc install
   nmake /f makefile.vc devinstall

In order to build with GEOS support, I uncommented the lines
in the "nmake.opt" as follows:

GEOS_DIR=C:\geos-3.1.1
GEOS_CFLAGS = -I$(GEOS_DIR)/capi -I$(GEOS_DIR)/source/headers -DHAVE_GEOS
GEOS_LIB     = $(GEOS_DIR)/source/geos_c_i.lib

However, I still get the same .dll and .lib files as if no GEOS
support was turned on
(the sizes are exactly the same). When I try to call
"OGRGeometry::Contains()" method,
I also get the error:

"ERROR 6: GEOS support not enabled."

What could be wrong?

2) I was also wondering whether OGR library provides a kind of nearest
neighbour finding facilities?
   If not, does anybody know any library that could be integrated with
OGR for this purpose?
   I plan to use it to find the n nearest sounding points (SOUNDG)
given a point, to make a prediction
   about its depth.

3) Finally, is there any facility in OGR for querying a layer such that
    it will only return the features on it, which contain a given
point as parameter?
    Because I could not come up with an SQL statement to perform this task.
    Actually I was planning to use this on the DEPARE (depth area) layer on
    an S-57 file to find the depth area polygon that covers the given point.

     Any idea or references about these issues would greatly be appreciated.

Best regards,
Yilmaz