[gdal-dev] compiling GDAL with GEOS on Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 1 13:00:32 EDT 2009

Yilmaz Arslanoglu wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am trying to build and install the GDAL library on Windows XP
> using the following commands:
>
>    nmake /f makefile.vc
>    nmake /f makefile.vc install
>    nmake /f makefile.vc devinstall
>
> In order to build with GEOS support, I uncommented the lines
> in the "nmake.opt" as follows:
>
> GEOS_DIR=C:\geos-3.1.1
> GEOS_CFLAGS = -I$(GEOS_DIR)/capi -I$(GEOS_DIR)/source/headers -DHAVE_GEOS
> GEOS_LIB     = $(GEOS_DIR)/source/geos_c_i.lib
>
> However, I still get the same .dll and .lib files as if no GEOS
> support was turned on

Yilmaz,

Make sure you do a "nmake /f makefile.vc clean" after any change to
the nmake.opt file.  The makefiles are not setup to force a full
rebuild on changes to the nmake.opt file or sub-makefiles.

> 2) I was also wondering whether OGR library provides a kind of nearest
> neighbour finding facilities?
>    If not, does anybody know any library that could be integrated with
> OGR for this purpose?
>    I plan to use it to find the n nearest sounding points (SOUNDG)
> given a point, to make a prediction
>    about its depth.

Nothing comes to mind to address this.

> 3) Finally, is there any facility in OGR for querying a layer such that
>     it will only return the features on it, which contain a given
> point as parameter?
>     Because I could not come up with an SQL statement to perform this task.
>     Actually I was planning to use this on the DEPARE (depth area) layer on
>     an S-57 file to find the depth area polygon that covers the given point.

If you specify a point to OGRLayer::SetSpatialFilter() you should only
get back features that intersect that point.  Without GEOS you would get
any feature whose bounding box contained that point but with GEOS the
test should be more precise.