[gdal-dev] gdal_translate problems...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 2 11:59:48 EDT 2009

Riki Tiki wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am using the following command to convert from raster to geotiff
>
> gdal_translate -of GTiff test test.tif
>
> it outputs the following:
>
> ERROR 1: Unknown base item type : 4
> ERROR 1: Unknown base item type : 4
> Input file size is 221, 232
> 0...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90...100 - done.
>

> Please can you tell me what are those errors mean? And possible solution to avoid it,...?

Riki,

It means that a HFA (Erdas Imagine) format file had a BASEDATA object
with data inside it of a type not supported by GDAL.  This is likely not
too serious - perhaps you will have incorrect nodata values.

If it is a concern, consider filing a ticket with the data.  Assuming
you are working with an arc/info binary coverage, likely all we need
is the .aux file.