[gdal-dev] problems with gdal_translate

Oz Nahum nahumoz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 03:25:29 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to convert a tif with the following extents to an AAIGrid, with
gdal translate.
The tiff file has the following extent:
(3366307.0, 1.0, 0.0, 5814845.0, 0.0, -1.0)
and the following resolution 1483, 1391.
When I run the following command I get the following error:

ozdeb at karo:$ gdal_translate -of AAIGrid -outsize 148 139
area_of_interest.tif aoic.ascii
Input file size is 1483, 1391
0Warning 1: Producing a Golden Surfer style file with DX and DY instead
of CELLSIZE since the input pixels are non-square.  Use the
FORCE_CELLSIZE=TRUE creation option to force use of DX for
even though this will be distorted.  Most ASCII Grid readers
(ArcGIS included) do not support the DX and DY parameters.

This is really weired because the source code says, that this behavior
should be only if the cell size is not square. I think that the input cell
sizes are square, am I wrong ?

Here's the source code reference I'm looking at:
http://gdal.sourcearchive.com/documentation/1.6.1-2/aaigriddataset_8cpp-source.html

Any suggestions how to avoid/ solve this annoying warning will be
appreciated.
Thanks,

Oz Nahum
Graduate Student