[gdal-dev] Reading/Converting .GDB files ?

Felix Schalck felix.schalck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 08:38:26 EDT 2009

Hello,

I was looking for high quality river data to complete my topographic
map, when somebody at the grass mailing list pointed me towards this
site:

http://desert.jrc.ec.europa.eu/action/php/index.php?action=view&id=23

The data is said to be of "ArcGis geodatabase" format. I downloaded
the files and it definitely looks like sort of a
database, with each entry split among 4 differents files:

<entry>.freelist
<entry>.gdbindexes
<entry>.gdbtable
<entry>.gdbtablx.
Plus one "gdb" file in the root directory of the db.

Unfortunately, ogrinfo doesn't seem to recognise any of the different
files (but maybe I don't have the right driver compiled into (although
PGEO is shown supported by ogrinfo -f). Has anyone here a clue on how
to open this db, and convert it to something I could work with (like
shapefile, for an instance) ? I got no answer so far from the grass
mailing list, nor from the author of the CCM data.

Thanks for your help,

Felix