[gdal-dev] Problems with TIFF internal symbols

Francesco P. Lovergine frankie at debian.org
Mon Sep 21 04:45:37 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 08:55:03AM +0200, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> Hi list,
> I'm trying to use OTB (Orfeo ToolBox) on Debian Sid with GDAL 1.6.2 and
> I get a lot of segmentation fault related to GDAL and TIFF files.
>
> A guy on the OTB mailing list suggested that it could depend on the
> "with-hide-internal-symbols" flag used for Debian packages.
>
> See thread
>
> http groups dot google dot com /group/otb-users/browse_thread/thread/be8ad5e263aafe14
>
> (sorry the spam filter of my ISP keeps blocking this message)
>
> Is the above hypothesis correct?
> How can we solve the issue in this case?
>

> Best regards

The only problem found in the past with that option was:

http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-grass/packages/gdal/trunk/debian/patches/cpl_dll.dpatch?revision=2232&view=markup

and it was detected at linking time. It seems OTB is misusing the original TIFF API or exploting
some inner problems of the same library. Note that
the geotiff internal gdal library has been used since 1.6.0 in debian, the old one used the same
library you are now linking with the default configuration. So the objection seems pointless.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine