[gdal-dev] Bulding VRT files from HDF sds

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 07:50:19 EDT 2010

Frank,

On 16 April 2010 19:25, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> Jose Gomez-Dans wrote:
>
>> Running gdalinfo -stats on the new filename proceeds reporting the
>> expected information, band by band... slowly but surely, until it reaches
>> band 33 (it's band 33 everytime, even with different datasets):
>>

> I suspect the HDF library is using a table of file accessors that is only
> 32 large,so when GDAL tries to open a 33rd file things fail.  Your
> workaround
> of translating to geotiff and working with that should be fine.

So this is the case, and in fact it is mentioned on the HDF GDAL driver
page:
<http://www.gdal.org/frmt_hdf4.html> (section Driver building).

I was quite bemused, and thought that maybe this 33 number would change if I
ran my script on different dates or jupiter/Mars positions in the sky X-)
Glad to hear the answer is much simpler than that!

Thanks a lot,
Jose