[gdal-dev] Bulding VRT files from HDF sds

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 16 14:25:17 EDT 2010

Jose Gomez-Dans wrote:
> Running gdalinfo -stats on the new filename proceeds reporting the
> expected information, band by band... slowly but surely, until it
> reaches band 33 (it's band 33 everytime, even with different datasets):
>
> Band 33 Block=128x128 Type=Int16, ColorInterp=Undefined
> ERROR 4: `HDF4_EOS:EOS_GRID:"../BlahBlah.hdf":blah:blah' does not exist
> in the file system,
> and is not recognised as a supported dataset
> name.
>

> ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0
>
> I can read individual bands OK (although I haven't tried looping through
> them), including band 33. I have stacks of memory, and data size should
> not be an issue.

Jose,

I suspect the HDF library is using a table of file accessors that is only
32 large,so when GDAL tries to open a 33rd file things fail.  Your workaround
of translating to geotiff and working with that should be fine.  If you really
wanted to fix this you could likely modify a constant in the hdf library for
the table size and recompile it but that could be somewhat involved.