[gdal-dev] Learning GDAL

jcurru jcurru at yahoo.es
Wed Apr 21 17:39:07 EDT 2010

Hi.
I'm new to GDAL, but supposed to have some experience in C++.
I'm trying to use GDAL in my project because CxImage, the image library I
was using so far, is not able to deal with big images.
After several days fighting against my compiler I could finally build
gdal.lib (I'm using Builder C++, supposed not to be supported by GDAL).
Now I'd like to start working with GDAL, but I can't find a start point. My
first aim is to build a pyramid of tiles in a special format (no GeoTiff or
ECW tiles, for example, but one I have designed to work with OpenGL). I'd
like to be able to load arbitrary tiles from a tiff image (and then convert
them to my format), but the only think I have found is that I have to work
with "bands". Well, I guess a band is something like a channel (R, G, B,
Alpha...) but what I need are RGB tiles.
As you can see, I'm slightly lost.
So, could anybody tell me the way to learn about GDAL? I've been googling
around but I can't find anything.
Thanks a lot for your help!