[gdal-dev] Geotiff with bands of different type

Andrew Brooks arb at sat.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Aug 10 07:02:44 EDT 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:46:00 +0100, Martin Raspaud <martin.raspaud at smhi.se> wrote:
> We have a satellite image in black and white, which show IR brightness
> temperatures. The data is scaled between 0 and 255 for viewing, and this is
> packed in a geotiff file
>
> Now some users would like to have the true value of the brightness temperature
> embedded in the file also.

Maybe you can simulate something close by putting a scale and offset (slope
and intercept) into the geotiff so you still display 8-bit values but a decent
image viewer will also calculate the true values and give a pixel readout of
the true value under the cursor. I say simulate because 8 bits may not give
sufficient resolution.

Andrew