[gdal-dev] RE: [GDAL_TRANSLATE]Problem with colorimetry

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 05:37:16 EDT 2010

Tacot,

You could have used a small shell script like this for converting all the
tif files.
for f in *.tif; do echo "$f -> new_$f"; gdal_translate -of GTiff -expand RGB
-co compress=lzw $f new_$f; done

The issue is reported as a warning in the trunk version of GDAL. It will
appear in gdal-1.8.0

Your images had only one band of 8-bit pixels.  The colors are interpreted
using a color table.  You can see it in the output of gdalinfo.  By using
the -expand RGB option in gdal_translate, you are creating a new tiff with
three bands, one each for Red, Green and Blue colors.  This way, all the
image files will have the same values for any color.  Note that your color
table also had the alpha channel, but I ignored it since all of them were
255.

Refer to http://www.gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html for documentation on
various gdal utilities.

Chaitanya kumar CH.