[gdal-dev] swig generated files for Perl bindings removed from repository

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 19 09:20:10 EDT 2010

Ari Jolma wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This was discussed a while ago[1] and while there was no general
> conclusion, I believe there is no requirement for the Perl bindings to
> keep the generated files in the repository. In fact, I recommend that
> the Perl bindings are regenerated every time they are built. The only
> exception is if you are using an official release (either of GDAL itself
> or Geo::GDAL - but see below), which is guaranteed to have updated
> bindings built in the release process.
>
> Note that "make generate" in swig/perl is not guaranteed to build
> updated bindings since the dependencies are not complete, the old ones
> need to be deleted first with "rm *wrap*".
>
> Perl bindings are not so picky on swig version. swig version in latest
> Ubuntu is 1.3.40 and it is ok, but also 2.0.0 seem to work ok (I just
> tested). swig for windows binaries also have worked without problems.
>
> I have been negligent at updating the Perl bindings as a CPAN module. A
> CPAN package (currently Geo-GDAL-0.23.tar.gz) can be generated from the
> bindings by "make dist". The package includes the swig generated
> bindings. Testing now it seems that building the package out of GDAL
> distribution fails due to (at least) include file swq.h not being found.
> This is a known bug[2], not related to the Perl bindings.

Ari,

I agree, you are welcome to remove the perl bindings from the repository.
I see that the mkgdaldist.sh script is already regenerating the perl
(and C#) bindings when release and nightly distributions are prepared.

If it has not already been done, you should try to make the situation
clear in the documentation.