[gdal-dev] gdal swig python's setup.py not python3 compatible

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Wed Dec 29 08:19:20 EST 2010

Hi,

some time ago, Arch linux made the rather bold decision to have python3
as system python default, of course with a /usr/bin/python2 alternative
sitting next to it. However, as the /usr/bin/python link is pointing to
/usr/bin/python3, gdal's swig python module's setup.py is being called
with python3, and appears to be not python3 compatible:

checking for python bindings... checking for python... python
checking for location of Python Makefiles...   File "<string>", line 3
     print sys.prefix
             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
   File "<string>", line 3
     print sys.prefix
             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
   File "<string>", line 3
     print sys.version[:3]
             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
found
checking where to install Python modules... /lib/python/site-packages
enabled
checking for python setuptools...   File "<string>", line 3
     print 1
           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
not found
configure: checking whether we should include rasdaman support...
         rasdaman support not requested.
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating GDALmake.opt

Imho the easiest way to fix this would be to have a '#!/usr/bin/python2'
as first line in setup.py; I suppose every distro has also a
/usr/bin/python2 executable/link, even if there is not yet a python3 one.

Regards,
Vincent.