[gdal-dev] gdal swig python's setup.py not python3 compatible

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Wed Dec 29 08:27:09 EST 2010

Oops, wrong conclusion. Seems more complicated than I thought, as there
are some python checks in configure that use python...

Lets change this into a question:

as I have both python2 and python3, with /usr/bin/python linking to
python3 (so python3 is the default), and gdal's python extension seems
to be not python3 compatible (at least the build/install method), what
would be the prefered way to have gdal's configure/make/make install use
python2 for everything? E.g. use /usr/bin/python2 as executable, and the
python2 site-packages dir for installing.

As lots of my own scripts and other extensions I use are still not
really python3-ready, I don't mind using python2 myself, but I'd like to
keep the system default to python3 because I don't want to mess to much
with my system's defaults (I tend to forget stuff I change manually, etc.)

Tia,
Vincent.