[gdal-dev] Oracle OCI connection in Python OGR

Abhay abhay.menon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 08:56:11 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Eric Wolf <ebwolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using GDAL/OGR 1.6.1 with ActivePython 2.6.4-10 and
> cx_Oracle-5.0.3-11g. I am trying to connect to an Oracle 11g instance.
>
> This works:
>
>     ogr2ogr -f "KML" emp.kml OCI:scott/tiger "EMP"
>
> What am I doing wrong. This fails, ds is None:
>
> from osgeo import ogr
>
> try:
>     d = ogr.GetDriverByName('OCI')
> except:
>     print "Unable to GetDriverByName"
>     quit()
>
> ds = None
>
> try:
>     ds = ogr.Open('OCI:scott/tiger')
> except:
>     print "Unable to open OCI connection"
>     quit()
>
> if ds is None:
>     print "Unable to open Oracle connection", ds
>     quit()
>
> lyr = ds.GetLayerByName('EMP')
> number = lyr.GetFeatureCount()
>
> print "Features: " + str(number)

> Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
> USGS Geographer
> Center of Excellence in GIScience
> PhD Student
> CU-Boulder - Geography
>
> GPG Public Key: http://www.h4h.net/ebwolf.public.key.txt

Hi Eric,

Form your mail it not clear what is cause of the problem.

There 2 scenario here

1) you are on a remote machine form where your trying to connect oracle
server machine:

a) Have you installed any Oracle Client in your system. Considering that you
are using the complete oracle client installation you can use the following
 :
OCI:scott/tiger@<Tnsname entry for eg. ORCL>

b) if you are trying out with Instant client for 11g you should try either
of the following

OCI:scott/tiger@//localhost/<your ORACLE SERVICE IDENTIFIER for eg ORCL>.

2) you are on the oracle server machine where

you must set the oracle SID. like the following
on windows
SET ORACLE_SID=ORCL
or
on *nix
export ORACLE_SID=ORCL

then try your implementation or use methods stated in 1)

Rgds.

Abhay.