[gdal-dev] Re: installing GDAL for pythonwin: can import and use gdal, but not gdal_translate

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Feb 18 03:41:45 EST 2010

anotherObject <ytrapaet <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure i need to make some more changes to my environment that are not
> mentioned in that pdf article describing the setup GDAL; every time i try
> any sort of commands that are mentioned in the GDAL utilities page from the
> Start -> Run -> cmd, once i press ok, i see the black DOS screen for a split
> second, then it disappears, so i cant see the displayed information that
> something like gdalinfo gives. sorry for being such a newbie.

Hi,

I suppose you are now trying to run GDAL utilities from the "Run" window. Try to
get the black DOS screen open and stay open first.  Start - Run - write cmd -
press Enter is one way, or you can find it from Start-All
programs-Utilities-Command line. I am not sure about how Windows show menu items
in English, but anyway, you will find it.

Then you can run GDAL utilities from the DOS window and it will keep open and
show all the messages for you.

-Jukka Rahkonen-