[gdal-dev] writing DWG/DXF

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Mar 17 15:06:34 EDT 2010

Hi,

yes - it is a read/write driver.

Since there are so many dxf variations out there reading may not be
supported for all files. Also there are some issues with reading (e.g.
block references, maybe some text issues). Curves and Splines are
segmented on reading the dxf. An application that reads dxf needs to be
able to deal with multiple geometry formats at once - e.g. mixed
linestrings/point/text/polygon.

DWG reading is not supported by this reader, since DWG is not well
documented (at least not in the public) and a binary format.

It would be good if you could test and report issues.

Regarding writing:
* OGRFeatureStyling is supported partially (at least pen colors work,
dashes I think not)
* currently there is no way to write to more than one layer
* again issues with block references

There will be further work on this provider. If you (or someone else)
would have some money for improvements it would help as well.

Best,
Andreas