[gdal-dev] writing DWG/DXF

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 18 06:47:42 EDT 2010

Hi,

Andreas Neumann wrote:
> yes - it is a read/write driver.

I have meanwhile checked out and tried it successfully. My use case is
taking shape files with geodata (road networks, railway, land use etc)
and converting them to DXF for a client of mine. I created a set of DXF
files from my shapes and checked them in QCAD.

Sadly I only get geometries, no extra attributes ("DXF layer does not
support arbitrary field creation."). I can work around this by creating
one shape file for every type of feature, but I'll never get something
like street names that way.

> There will be further work on this provider. If you (or someone else)
> would have some money for improvements it would help as well.

Is not being able to convert something like a street name a fundamental
problem of DXF, or is this something that could be implemented for a
client willing to part with some money?

Bye
Frederik