[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL with netCDF4 support

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 24 13:27:30 EDT 2010

scizmeli wrote:
> I would strongly encourage the inclusion of netcdf-4 inside GDAL. Not merely
> for HDF5, but also for OpenDAP.

+1

> I just recently discovered that OpenDAP libraries are now being included
> built-in in the new netcdf4 : http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/.

yes, but it's an optional component, and when I last checked, no one had
built it for Windows. However, it's built on libcurl, which is available
for Windows (and already used by GDAL?), so it may be straightforward.

Having OpenDap support in the netcdf4 lib is really nice. If there are
problems the folks at opendap.org may well want to help, even if unidata
doesn't (unidata has gotten pretty Java-centric lately).

>  By the way,
> GDAL/netcdf-4 seems to be my only was of being able to access OpenDAP data
> from inside R.

Which is why you should use Python (and Rpy) ;-)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov