[gdal-dev] Thin Plate Spline

Peter J Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Tue May 4 02:16:18 EDT 2010

Jan,

    the number of points required will depend upon the nature of the deformation
in the originals.  You need sufficient control points to ensure that the
algorithm can sort things out, so relatively more points are required in the
deformed areas.  However, although I've not used the GDAL Thin Plate Spline,
with many of these algorithms it is necessary to also have an even spread of
control points, or new distortion can be introduced in the previously
undistorted areas.

    I would regard five control points as the minimum and suitable only for
originals that were completely flat when scanned.  Five points should be enough
(just) to deal with orientation errors on the scanner and systematic scanner
errors.  If the original had been folded, for example, even had it been ironed
before scanning, additional points would be needed either side of the former
folds, in order to sort out the compression they introduce.  The worst case I've
ever had to deal with was a late 19th century map with no known projection
details that had been segmented and mounted on linen - with gaps between each
segment.  In that case, I ended up transforming each segment and then stitching
the segments together - it worked remarkably well.

Hope that helps,
best wishes,

Peter