[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL 1.7 and GML3

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon May 24 09:55:39 EDT 2010

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:

> Jukka,
>
> There's no ogr2ogr switch to control character encoding.
>
> you didn't mention with which tool you tried to open the shapefiles. I suppose
> it's not with OGR itself, as the shapefile driver does not do anything with
> the encoding of the data it reads or writes.

Hi,

You are right. When opened with QGis which gives a possibility for selecting the
encoding all the attributes are shown correctly. Thus there are no errors due to
ogr2ogr conversion as far as I can see. First time I opened shapefiles with
OpenJUMP. I don't know yet how to force it to use the correct character set.

-Jukka-