[gdal-dev] S-57 Driver WRONG Geometry

ogr user mrxonx at hotmail.com
Sat May 29 23:00:07 EDT 2010

Correct me if I am wrong (I might be) but my reading of S-57 standard
(section 4.7 and thereabouts) is such that it does not provide for
multi-line geometries. Instead, it is suggested that if certain edges of
a line have to be "invisible" they should be masked by using appropriate
attribute. I have to admit that I haven't seen that used in major data
sets (NOAA, UK, various european) either. In any case - while it is
certainly possible to store multiple "not really connected" edges for a
given feature, this does not seem to be something that S-57 standard
permits or provides for.

By the same token, standard is being quite specific about not permitting
multiple polygons in the single area feature (though they do provide for
"holes" in a given polygon).

 FWIW I would consider an S-57 ENC using such line structure to be not
well formed. Just my 5 cents.
--Mike