[gdal-dev] Re: how can I compile GDAL 1.7.3 with ecw 4.1 in Virsual Studio 2010

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 25 10:48:02 EST 2010

GeoJoda wrote:
> Hi again Finally I managed to compile ecw dll as part of gdal. This
> means I do not need to declare a system variable to tell where ecw gdal
> plugin is located. I ran gdalinfo - format: Bingo found *Supported
> Formats: ECW (ro): ERMapper Compressed Wavelet JP2ECW (ro): ERMapper
> JPEG2000* But when I try to run gdal17.dll with MapServer, I get this
> error message: *load output format (): General error message. OUTPUT
> FORMAT clause references driver GDAL / ECW, men this driver isn't
> Configured.; msInitGDALOutputFormat (): General error message. GDAL
> `ECW` driver ikke support output.* I get this error message only when I
> include. Ecw file in mapFile. This means that solution with the new gdal
> thrived without ecw. So question is am I missing some configurations for
> MapServer or what?

Hi,

I gather you are using the new ECW DSDK, right?  It only supports reading,
not writing.  Based on the use of an OUTPUTFORMAT declaration in mapserver,
I'm guessing you are trying to return ECW results from MapServer.  To do
that you need to make some sort of purchase of an encoder SDK from
Erdas.  Encoding - even small results - is apparently no longer free.

Don't blame me - those who hold the strings of copyright make the rules!

Ah, doesn't it make the taste of open source even sweeter when you
occationally bite into the sour taste of proprietary?