[gdal-dev] mod_python issue with libtiff

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 18 10:47:39 EDT 2010

Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you all for your hints so far.
>
> Frank also suggested to examine which libraries are in use by Apache with
> the following command:
>
> cat /proc/<apache-id>/maps
>
> It turns out that
> /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4.3.2
> and
> /usr/local/lib/libtiff.so.5.0.0
>
> are in use.
>
> There is no libtiff.so.3x installed in the system.
>
> So I wonder if the error message mentioning 3x and 4x actually means 4x
> and 5x?

Andreas,

I would just note that libtiff 3.x is normally installed with libtool
versions in the 4.x.x range on linux systems while libtiff 4.0beta is
normally installed with libtool version numbers in the 5.x range.  It is
common for the .so version numbers to have no meaningful relationship with
software versions.

This is also true of many other packages, including GDAL.