[gdal-dev] GDAL rejecting Winkel Tripel projection

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Oct 22 17:02:40 EDT 2010

Le vendredi 22 octobre 2010 22:48:43, William Kyngesburye a écrit :
> So, why?  Is it because it has no defined inverse projection?  I think
> aitoff is another such, and it's not handled by GDAL either.

I don't know the reason. My guess is that perhaps beause nobody cared enough
about that projection to add support for it ??

> I see a +wktext option mentioned in ogr_srs_proj4.cpp:importFromProj4(),
> but it doesn't help.  I guess importFromProj4() looks at the projection
> and rejects the proj4 string before +wktext is helpful.

+wktext cannot help when OSR doesn't recognize the projection. It only helps
to keep the extra options that OSR doesn't handle by itself.

> If I could figure out a WKT definition, does GDAL restrict that?
>
> Any other way I can get GDAL to use wintri?

You can write the WKT and add a EXTENSION['PROJ4','+proj=wintri ...'] node in
it, so it is used when translating it into proj4.