[gdal-dev] Re: warp, translate and world files

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Tue Oct 26 12:01:41 EDT 2010

On 25/10/2010 11:17, Paul Meems wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've got several png files with worldfiles.
> I need them in another projection (28992 --> 3785).
> I'm using gdalwarp to reproject to a tiff file and then I use
> gdal_translate to create a png file again.
> My original png file is about 25 kB, the warped tiff is over 2MB and the
> translated png file is over 80 kB.

I am not quite sure why you don't use -of png to save the creation of
the intermediate tiff file. You might also be able to use -of byte which
creates an 8 bit PNG (if this format is sufficient for your purpose).

The size difference 20k vs 80k could be due to the fact that the source
file is PNG8 and the generated file is PNG24. There may be other
reasons, though.

Hermann