[gdal-dev] RFC 30: Unicode Filenames - call for discussion

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 06:49:26 EDT 2010

On 09/15/2010 06:22 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> A client has asked me to support unicode filenames on windows.  To
> that end
> I have constructed an RFC for migration to treating all filesnames in the
> GDAL API as utf-8.
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc30_utf8_filenames
>
> I'd appreciate review and comment.  If all is well I hope to call for
> a vote
> on this RFC late this week.

My observation is that I can open data sources with non-ascii filenames
in Linux but not in Windows using the Perl bindings. There's a bug in
the Perl bindings to tell Perl that those same filenames when read back
from GDAL are (I guess) utf-8.

Thus it seems to me that only the VSI windows functions need fixing.

Does Windows use utf-8 for filenames? If so, then fixing the back to
utf-8 bug, would also work for windows, I guess.

Ari