[gdal-dev] RFC 30: Unicode Filenames - call for discussion

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 16:53:51 EDT 2010

2010/9/21 Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>

> The intention of the RFC is that all filenames will be treated as utf-8.
> You mention a Changeset.Ansi converter.  I assume it is also possible to
> do a unicode to utf-8 conversion at the swig interface?  It sounds like
> all strings that are supposed to be utf-8 as opposed to "locale dependent
> C strings" should be identified and a different typemap used for them.
> Does that make sense?  I have made some note of this in the RFC but I'm
> not in a great position to fool with the C# bindings so I'm hoping you
> will help with them.

Frank,

.Net strings are stored as UTF-16 not UTF-8 so passing UTF8 strings in the
API will require manual marshaling. Currently the default marshaling
behaviour automatically does the UTF-16 to ANSI conversion in the C#
interface.

> I'll note that all the OGR string and stringlist field reading and writing
> should also be handled as if the strings are utf-8 per RFC 23.  Is that
> done currently?

No. I'd require the complete list of the functions (and their parameters)
for which such kind of manual marshaling should take place. You did mention
about stringlists which should always be treated as UTF8, it might be true
for OGRFeature.GetFieldAsStringList but not for OGRLayer.CreateLayer for
instance.

Best regards,

Tamas