[gdal-dev] The 2.5D geometry proposal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 16 10:08:34 EDT 2010

Oyvind Idland wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> full 3D/volumetric objects was not what I was refering to. I mean
> "2.5D", simple features
> with Z (and M) ordinates.
>
> If I understand correct, this is what Adam is refering to in his proposal.
>
> SQL/MM do specify Z and M geometries (plus circular geometries).

>> Am Donnerstag 16 September 2010 14:03:09 schrieb Oyvind Idland:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> been taking a look at "Adam's 2.5D simple features proposal" at the OGR
>>>  website.

Oyvind,

I would note that Adam's proposal was from around the year 2000 and was used
in OGR for many years until OGC/ISO decided to use different codes for 2.5D
in WKB despite the fact that Adam's proposal had been adopted by OGC.

There has been some effort to support the new numbering scheme but I'm not
exactly sure what OGR produces by default not.