[gdal-dev] Split apart MULTI* problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 25 20:20:13 EDT 2011

I can't get ogr2ogr to split MULTI* shapefiles to non-multi features.  I'm sure I've done this in the past (it's been a while).

ie, the Natural Earth shapefiles, coastline file - has a mix of LINESTRING and MULTILINESTRING.  I run:

ogr2ogr . 50m_coastline.shp -nln 50m_coastline-l -nlt LINESTRING

It leaves the MULTILINESTRINGs as is.

Same happens with mixed POLYGON and MULTIPOLYGON shapefiles, like the NE admin_0_countries.

I've done something similar more recently importing shapefiles into PostGIS, forcing MULTI types to avoid errors in mixed multi/non-multi shapefiles.  That works.

GDAL 1.8.0, OSX 10.6.7

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan