[gdal-dev] New PHP bindings - php5-gdal

Jean-François Gigand jf at geonef.fr
Mon Aug 8 18:32:33 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am writing a PHP 5 module providing bindings for GDAL and OGR.

It is GPL3-licensed and available here:
http://projects.geonef.fr/projects/php5-gdal/wiki

It is far from complete, bindings are available for about a third of
the C++ interfaces.
I have been working on/with it for 8 months yet, and recently using it
on a production website as well.
I actually wrote the bindings I needed so far, the rest will follow
little by little, and any contribution is welcome.

php5-gdal provides PHP classes for the equivalent C++ class, same for
the methods. The C macro constants of GDAL/OGR are brought to PHP as
global constants.

I decided to write this library when I got limited at using OGR/PHP
(segfault crash) and noticed the latter has not been maintained for
years.
After trying to compile the SWIG bindings with no success, I thought a
good robust C++ code would be the best deal for providing OOP
interfaces to PHP.

As the GPL summary says, I hope that this library will be useful!
There is a dedicated ML, info on
http://ml.geonef.fr/mailman/listinfo/php5-gdal-dev

Best regards,

Jean-François Gigand - Geonef