[gdal-dev] New PHP bindings - php5-gdal

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Aug 9 11:20:48 EDT 2011

On 11-08-09 04:04 AM, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 12:32 AM, Jean-François Gigand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing a PHP 5 module providing bindings for GDAL and OGR.
>>
> This would be a very usefull addition to GDAL.

We should add a link to it from the GDAL Wiki once the php5-gdal webpage
is publicly available:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/#GDALOGRInOtherLanguages

>> It is GPL3-licensed and available here:
>> http://projects.geonef.fr/projects/php5-gdal/wiki
>>
> I'm wondering if it would'nt be more apprioprato to use the same license
> as GDAL itself, see http://www.gdal.org.

Ideally BSD (in my mind), or at the minimum LGPL to make it clear that
PHP code using it will not be bound by the GPL.

(It is not clear to me whether scripting function calls to a CPL module
makes the calling code bound to GPL as well. BSD or LGPL would avoid the
question.)

> BTW: I'm not able to access to the above mentioned address.

There seems to be a password protection.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/