Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 6 15:20:02 EST 2011

On 1/6/11 12:13 PM, Ari Jolma wrote:
>  If you have a DLL in a system that is meant for
> shared use then it should be in the system PATH. Thus I believe the
> policy should be to set the PATH if GDAL is installed into a system

I notice on my system, the dll is "gdal17.dll"

That is, the version is part of the file name, so there shouldn't be a
problem with different versions installed in the PATH.

WE could even use a longer filename, like *nix systems, we're not
restricted to 8.3 anymore, are we?

gdal-1.7.1-a.dll

for instance.

Though maybe setting up the build to do that is more trouble that it's
worth.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov