[gdal-dev] projection in external file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 26 18:07:57 EST 2011

On 11-01-26 08:33 AM, morabit wrote:

> Hi All,
>   In our project we have to support the loading of tiff images
> that will be geo-referenced by means of external companion
> files containing the affine geo transformation and projection
> information (WKT).
> We have tested that GDAL supports external geo-transform
> using .tfw files, but we are not able to load WKT info included
> in companion .proj or .wkt files.
> Does GDAL support this kind of feature?
> Perhaps it supports this feature using some other format (aux.xml)?
> In case of positive answer, what is the right way to accomplish this?

Bruno,

Yes, it should be possible to embed a coordinate system in an .aux.xml file
and have GDAL utilize it transparently for GeoTIFF files.  I have attached
an example .aux.xml file with a coordinate system and geotransform in it.
Note that the coordinate system is in WKT, but with XML encoding of special
characters like quotes.