[gdal-dev] GDAL Newbie - Get Height from a DTED

migelanjel edarel256 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:45:15 EDT 2011

Hello there!
First let me you that i'm quite new in this, so if there's anything that you
may is basic, please let me know anyway, cause to me it may be the puzzle
piece i'm missing.

So, here's what i need to do. I have a DTED file (dt2), and i'm trying to
get the elevation data to map it over a jpg image, and show it in the screen
so i can know the elevation of the point the mouse is over in any moment.
I've loaded the DTED file, and i've been able to read the coordinates of the
corners of te raster band, but i don't if i can get the elevation data in a
numeric way. I've been reading the doc in the GDAL website but all i could
find about this was "How to draw the data to images".

Could anyone tell me how to get the numeric elevation data?

I'm using the C# inteface (because i'll be using XNA to do all the drawing),
but i can understand C, and a little bit of C++ too, so don't worry about
that.

Thanks a lot for reading this!